The job of an airline pilot consists of the following responsibilities:
1. Navigate or pilot aircraft to transport mail, freight and/or passengers
2. Supervise or perfrom pre-flight checks of loading, fuel supplies, instruments, and switches
3. Discuss with meteorologist weather conditions for take-off and flight
4. Supervise activities of flight deck crew
5. Modify flight plan as necessary
In the United Kingdom in 2000, there were 16,449 airline and commercial pilots (with Airline Transport Pilot Licenses and Commercial Pilot Licenses). In the US the FAA estimates there are over 600,000 pilots, both airline and private pilots. Six percent of them are female.